Katy Perry is not afraid to take risks when it comes to fashion
The girl who wooed America (and Russell Brand) with her risqué lyrics and ample assets has a style that is over-the-top and truly unique. And while she hasn’t gone quite as far as Lady Gaga when it comes to Avant-garde ensembles (thank goodness) she has certainly pushed the boundaries of what is considered fashionable. With her retro sensibilities (spanning several eras) and candy-colored wardrobe, she is nothing if not eye-catching. And while she has had some hits and misses (circus/burlesque bustiers, fruit-inspired outfits, and nails appliqued with pictures of her man, to name a few), she has certainly kept us alert with her quirky style and perky, um, personality. Here are just a few of the items that define her personal style.
1. Hair accessories. Perry is rarely seen without a hat, headband, oversized flower, or even fruit in her perfectly-coifed hair, an addition that totally plays into her retro vibe. She does it right with one large accessory perfectly nestled atop a nest of curls or used to pin back her lustrous mane just behind one ear.
2. High-waisted short-shorts. Most women aren’t daring enough to attempt the look made famous by screen-sirens of the sixties (probably because it tends to truncate your trunk). But with her bootylicious bod, Perry can easily pull off what would be a fashion blunder for other women. It takes curves in all the right places to put this look in the win column, and she does it with ease.
3. Cut-off tops. These midriff-baring half-shirts are perfect for someone with an ample bosom and a small waist as they serve to emphasize both. Perry wears them frequently in an array of colors, patterns, and styles to give off a vibe that is both beach-blanket-bingo and super-sexy girl-next-door. Again, she retools this retro look with aplomb and brings back a style that was last popular with our grandparents generation.
4. Sequined cocktail dress. This girl is not afraid to hit the runway in silky granny-panties, but more often, she is sporting a dress that is both short and sparkly. She tends to opt for strapless numbers with a sweetheart neckline, although she has also been seen in halter tops and slinky spaghetti straps. With her gravity-defying upper body, she rarely needs the extra support of thick strap to keep her shimmery, glittery, or bedazzled tops right where they’re supposed to be.
5. Ethereal floor-length gown. When she goes for the glam, she does it right. Her floor-length looks tend to be wispy and ethereal, with layers of silk charmeuse or chiffon to float around her body enticingly, and often some flirty and feminine enhancements along the lines of feathered epaulets or frilly hemlines.
6. 80s specs. This California native doesn’t wear her shades too often, but when she does, they are usually of the square and colorful variety worn by denizens of the “me” decade. Since it appears that it’s once again hip to be square, the wayfarer look is definitely the way to go.
7. Rompers. Perry may be single-handedly responsible for ushering this one-piece look back into popularity. Her often strapless, body-hugging top-and-shorts combos are generally punctuated by a large belt and accentuated with colorful high heels. And as she has proven time and again, she’ll wear them just about anywhere.
Sarah Danielson writes for Helpdesk
where you can find all the best in help desk software solutions on the market today.